Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Victory Day Thirty-Five: Victim or Victor?


 I am learning from experience that if I see myself as a helpless victim, powerless in my circumstances, fear and anxiety can take over. Life becomes unmanageable. However, Christ has already defeated the enemy and has come to be with us to equip us for every battle, one by one. They are just obstacles along the way. When fear closes in, trust in our ever-present God is the answer.

“See, God has come to save me. I will trust in him and not be afraid.
The Lord God is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.”
Isa. 12:2, NLT

Last week our Sunday school lesson was on one of the benefits God intends for all His children – to enjoy His presence. We can’t enjoy His presence unless we first recognize that He literally is with us all the time. As the verse says, God has come to save us. He came in the person of Jesus Christ, and after His resurrection, He sent the person of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, to come live in us. You can’t get any closer than that.  

His presence doesn’t mean we don’t face storms in this life, but knowing He’s there gives us courage to get through them. He will either calm the storm, or calm His child. Trust in Him quiets our spirit and gives us strength. And amazingly, a song springs from our lips. In the pleasure of His presence God gives us victory over two of our worst enemies - fear and doubt. Choosing faith, we sing, until the storm is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment