Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Give Thanks in ALL Circumstances - The Glad Texts: Part Two


It’s the last day before Thanksgiving and I hope you plan to celebrate with family or friends, old or new. You might even want to share with each other some of the “crutches” you have received in the last year, and how God has helped you to find reasons to be glad in them. May you find countless reasons to rejoice in Him. So pass the pumpkin pie and read a few glad texts together.

I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. This will please the Lord more than an ox, more than a bull with its horns and hooves. The poor will see and be glad—you who seek God, may your hearts live!
Psalm 69:30, 32

Lord, I can’t relate to having to offer sacrifices of bulls or sheep, but I know what a sacrifice it is sometimes, to be grateful in all circumstances. Help me remember to sing in good times and bad. There’s nothing like music to get our minds off our troubles and lift our spirits. I want my music to glorify you, even when my voice is a little croaky and off key.

But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”
Psalm 70:4

I do long for your help, but I’m afraid I don’t always think to declare how great you are. At least with that much enthusiasm. But why not? You are great. That reality doesn’t change just because of my momentary feelings. I will rejoice and be glad in you.

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
Psalm 90:14

Unfailing love. Nothing else can satisfy like your love - no novel, new relationship, holiday movie, job promotion, or new car. You make us glad all our days – even the ones when we’re not so lovable. Thank you, Lord, that I get to wake up every day to your love.

For you make me glad by your deeds, Lord; I sing for joy at what your hands have done.
Psalm 92:4

Deeds. Exploits. Miracles. Whatever name we put on them, everything you do is perfect and amazing, God. Your actions are intended to show mankind who you are, and draw us into a relationship with you. How wonderful!
Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns.” The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity. Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy. Let all creation rejoice before the Lord, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his faithfulness. Psalm 96:10-13
It’s pretty good news to know you’re coming to Judge, because I know your judgments are always fair and good. The innocent will no longer be accused, the weak will be protected, the guilty will face the consequences of their actions. With you, all things will be set right. No wonder the earth rejoices in your coming.

The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice.
Psalm 97:1

Do I see a smile spreading across the face of the globe? Our God reigns! From shore to shore.

The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.
Psalm 118:24

What is it that you have done today, Lord? So many things! My “it” will be different than someone else’s “it.” Father, I rejoice in the fellowship, light, hunger, hope, and sense of anticipation you have brought into my life today. Tomorrow there will be another whole list. Thank you for giving us new reasons each day to rejoice and be glad in you.

I would like to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving! I pray your heart will be full of gladness and gratitude, no matter what difficulties you may face. God is worthy of praise. He is near. He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment