Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Give Thanks in ALL Circumstances - The Glad Texts: Part One


Thanksgiving is two days away, and no matter what circumstances you find yourself in today, the Person of Jesus Christ gives us each a reason to be glad. Let us rejoice in Him! Following each “glad text” today, I have written a short prayer. I hope these words pour over you and fill you with gladness and the assurance of God’s goodness to you.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 5:11

Father, thank you that you are our refuge. You are my safe place, where I can run for comfort and protection. I sing in the shelter of you.

I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:2

Even if nothing else is going right, I can still rejoice in you, my Lord. Thank you for being faithful and worthy of praise.

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure.
Psalm 16:8-9

That’s the key, isn’t it, Lord? To keep my eyes on you. When I look elsewhere to be satisfied, that’s when life shakes me up. So, I determine this day to look to you and be glad.

Surely you have granted him unending blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence.
Psalm 21:6

The joy of your presence. How often I forget you are always with me, even in times of tremendous loneliness, you do not abandon me. Thank you, Lord.

I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul.
Psalm 31:7

No one understands our heartaches like you do, Lord. Only you know the anguish of each heart, and you alone can comfort us. I am so glad you love me!

Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!
Psalm 32:11

God, I don’t always feel so righteous and upright. I am only those things because I have accepted the free gift of Jesus Christ. That’s worth being glad about! You gave me a song, a new song – a song of praise.

But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, “The Lord is great!”
Psalm 40:16

The wonderful thing about seeking you is that you want to be found! You’re the One who first initiated our relationship. Even when it feels like you’ve disappeared from view, God, I stand on the truth that you will never leave me or forsake me. You make me glad; you are great!

But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.
Psalm 68:3

It’s a choice, isn’t it, Lord? We can choose to be glad and rejoice; to be happy and joyful in who you are and what you’ve done for us. Or, we can choose to get bogged down in the disappointments and difficulties of life. Thank you for these glad texts, Lord, they remind me I can always be thankful, because of who you are. Amen, and amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment