Friday, August 9, 2013

Day Two: Record the Victories

After the victory, the Lord instructed Moses, “Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder, and read it aloud…”
Ex. 17:14, NLT

My dad loves submarine movies and war stories where the heroes overcome impossible odds. Recently, we bought him a DVD set of modern day war heroes’ rescues, escapes, and what motivated them to keep on fighting even when the odds were against them. That’s the kind of stuff that inspires courage and patriotism. Who wants to hear accounts of defeat and surrender? That’s why God told Moses to be sure and write about the victories to encourage future generations.
 
I’ve recently been reading through old journals and it made me realize what a whiner I’ve been.
Ouch! A lot of my entries talk about how overwhelmed I’m feeling about all I have to do (much of which is self-imposed) and all that is wrong with me, the world, and my circumstances.

This verse reminds me that I need to be a better recorder after each victory God brings, large and small, and to develop more of a thankful heart. This includes more than just journaling. I’m thinking Facebook, email, letters, and every form of written communication. I don’t know how permanent all these things are, but whatever I leave behind for others to read later, I want my words to glorify God and bring Him praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment