Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day One: The Song of Victory

 The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.
This is my God, and I will praise him—my father’s God, and I will exalt him!”
Ex. 15:2, NLT

Ever find yourself singing without even realizing you were? When we were first married Kelly commented, “I like the way to sing when you do dishes and work around the house.” Until then, I hadn’t realized I did. This happens to happy people, contented people, people in love. It also happens to the spiritually victorious. When God gives us victory, we can’t help but do a little happy dance and sing a song of love and praise to Him.

However, it’s a lot harder to sing before the victory actually happens. That takes guts; that takes faith. That’s exactly what King Jehoshaphat did, though. And that’s why he’s one of my heroes from the Old Testament. When the Ammonites and Moabites waged war on his people, King J ran to God for help. Not to his private chambers, but right out in front of the temple where everybody could see him. God honored his humble faith by promising to fight not with them, but for them.

King J believed God and his example inspired such worship in his people that the praise band was willing to go in front of the army. They praised God, not for victory, but for His faithful love! “Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: ‘Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever’” (2 Chron. 20:21).

Then God did His thing.  “As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated” (2 Chron. 20:22, emphasis added).

I’m challenged to praise God more – not just when I’m happy and things are going my way. Not just when I feel victorious and on top of the situation. But before I see God’s promises fulfilled; before the enemy scuttles away. That’s why I’m singing more – during devotions, with my prayer partner, in the car, as I go about my day – even, and especially, when I don’t feel victorious. After all, I know God wins in the end. So why not stop moping around and act like I’m a soldier on the winning side?

No comments:

Post a Comment