Monday, August 12, 2013

Day Three: You Are Not Alone

For the Lord your God is going with you!
He will fight for you against your enemies, and he will give you victory!”
Deut. 20:4, NLT

“In the mental hospital I began reading the book of John, and for the first time in my life I felt like I wasn’t alone,” he said. “I’ve always been a little different; never seemed to fit in anywhere. But when I met Jesus as I read the gospels, particularly John, I felt like I belonged, really belonged, to someone. Jesus’ promise to the disciples is mine too - He won’t leave me as an orphan (John 14:18). So now, wherever I am, I have confidence that Jesus is with me and I don’t ever have to be alone again.”

This man’s testimony resonated with me. Even though I grew up in a warm and loving family and have many dear friends, there have still been moments when I have felt utterly alone. I sometimes feel out of sync with those around me, or like they don’t know the real me. If they did they might not like me. I know I’m not the only one. Many of us struggle with this feeling of aloneness. Many of the psalms and today’s worship songs express the same ache.

That’s why I love verses like John 14:18, as well as several verses from the Old Testament. “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’ (Heb. 13:5, Deut. 31:6, 8; and Josh. 1:5, emphasis mine). This is God’s promise when we enter spiritual battle as well. Our friends and family may not understand, or join us in the fight, or even know what we fight against, but God is with us in every skirmish.

In fact, He not only stands with us in the fight, He fights for us, and makes sure we are victorious. I don’t know who your enemies are today. Perhaps you’re fighting doubt, self-pity, anxiety, rebellion, or maybe bitterness, fear, selfishness, even loneliness. No matter what enemy attacks your faith and strength in God, rest in the confidence that you don’t have to face it alone.

Claim these verses; write them on 3x5 cards and memorize them; repeat them aloud. And be sure to encourage other believers with these words. God is with us and He will lead us through the perils and challenges of this life and make us victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment