Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bonus Info on St. John’s Wort and Depression

I talked for almost an hour the other day with the Naturopath I’ve been seeing for about ten years. She is a born again believer. She combines her faith in the Lord Jesus Christ with her training in Naturopathic medicine to help people learn how to live healthier lives. A very rare combination! The information she shared with me was so helpful, I wanted to pass it on.

I expressed my concerns to her about how tired I’m feeling since I started taking St. John’s Wort. The depression has lifted, but I feel sluggish and sleepy; I’m not used to having to rest all the time. I’m used to being on the move.

Karen explained, “St. John’s Wort isn’t what’s making you tired, Beth. It’s actually an amazing supplement that has many uses. It is working to build up your depleted system.” I had already found out from my research that it can be helpful for depression, for fighting viral and bacterial infections, in the treatment of PMS and fibromyalgia, for chronic pain, and sometimes weight loss.

Karen continued, “One of the best things it does is feed overworked nerves. If you’ve been under prolonged stress from grief, pain, anxiety, or whatever, your nerves eventually get to the point where they can’t let down. You’re feeling tired because you are tired. The St. John’s Wort is helping your body let down so you can rest and heal.”

Hmm, so the answer was not to take less so I can do more, but to rest when I feel tired and let God do His healing work. An amazing concept.

I’m not out to sell St. John’s Wort or any other product, but if you’re seeking a natural solution for depression and thought you might try it, this is information that could be very helpful. Make sure you do not take St. John’s Wort if you’re already taking another antidepressant.

In our western culture, we’re used to taking medicine so we can feel better, in order to keep right on doing what we want to do. But I’m learning that sometimes it’s better to feel worse for a while in order to treat the source of the problem and not just the symptoms. I hope this is helpful information.

Next time, I will address some of the spiritual causes for depression and how we can allow God to heal us in this area.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. That is a word to the wise, for certain!

    ReplyDelete