Monday, April 23, 2012

A Furious Squall

I could definitely relate to their predicament, even though I haven’t stepped into a boat lately. I felt like I was with the disciples as I read Mark 4:37-41 the other day. Their lesson became mine.
We were on the water far from land; a furious squall threatened to overturn our boat. The waves crashed, tossing us to and fro, no matter how hard we rowed. We were drenched and cold, and even though we bailed vigorously, water began to fill the boat.

I shouted above the wind, “Jesus, don’t you care if we drown?”

He calmly strode from His resting place and rebuked the unruly waters, “Quiet! Be still!” Suddenly, it was. He turned to me and asked, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”

What could I say? I was numb with shame and awe.

We are still in the boat, still far from land, but I have a new realization. I see who is with us. It is Jesus, who commands the wind and the waves. He is the Creator of all. He is my Savior. We will make it to shore, because Jesus is on board.

If you are facing a storm today, I pray you will experience His calming presence with you. He may still the waters tossing your boat, or He may choose to give you peace instead, while the storm continues to rage. Either way, He can be trusted. Stay in the boat with Him and He will get you to shore.  

1 comment:

  1. Your writings keep me so encouraged. Thank you!
    Dalia

    ReplyDelete