Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude Part Two:

 I am Thankful for People

What would life be like without people? I am so thankful for the ones whose eyes sparkle when they see me. For those who are fully present, whoever they’re with, setting aside cell phones and other distractions. I am thankful for people with genuine smiles; who listen fully, love sincerely, and remain cheerful despite interruptions, disappointments, and conflict.

I love people who make me laugh – at the quirks of life, with quick wit, and good natured teasing. I’m thankful for people who have a positive outlook and reveal a fresh perspective when I am discouraged. For people who can enjoy the simple pleasures of life – a beautiful sunset, a great cup of coffee, candlelight, a new book, freshly washed clothes, a walk in the park.

I am thankful for people who give hugs and compliments. Thank you Lord, for those who comment when others lose weight, make wise decisions, win a small victory, or have a great idea. They are the noticers.

True friends offer wisdom, remind me of the truth, let me cry when I am sad, listen when I am distraught or overjoyed. I’m grateful for those who help me process ideas, let me dream, push me to try, and help me accept what is. I am thankful for those who not only bless me, but let me love and serve them as well.

One of my favorite verses about friendship says, “The pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel” (Proverbs 27:9).  I’m thankful for those who encourage me in God’s ways. Their thoughtful questions help me examine where I’m headed and steer me back to the path. These true friends keep me from getting bogged down or self-destructing.

Safe people, we are told by Drs. Cloud and Townsend possess three qualities:

·         They are present

·         They practice grace

·         They are truthful

Safe people are attentive to others. They are loving and forgiving, but they also speak truth.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am thankful for the special people God has placed in my life and for ones I don’t even know yet. My husband, children, parents, sisters, friends, neighbors, and many people around the world are dear to me. They are beautiful examples of God’s Spirit in action. I look forward to gathering with many of them around the table this month. And though I will miss the ones who are celebrating elsewhere, they will be in my heart.

Thank you God for creating such a delightful variety of people in this world – the bold adventurers, the thinkers, the dreamers, the artists and musicians, the clowns, the planners, the caregivers, and the movers and shakers. You have created each one to do your work. Help us continue to appreciate each other, even after the feast is over and we are once again involved in the business of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment