Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Peace Factor


picture by Selaphotography
 I know she meant it as a compliment. After the service, a woman in the foyer said, “I love to hear you play your clarinet. It’s so relaxing I could fall asleep.” I preferred it when a friend called me the Kenny G of worship music. I’m definitely a fan.

Her remark, though, reminded me of a radio spot I did a few years ago for my book Peace Within Your Borders. “The title of your book fits you,” the interviewer commented. “Your voice is so soft and peaceful you almost lulled me to sleep.” Not exactly the effect I was aiming for. Instead of putting people to sleep, it was supposed to make people want to run out and buy my book!

I do want my music and writing to inspire and comfort, but there’s a fire in my heart that cannot be quenched. Apparently, my soft delivery sneaks up on people, though. I believe it’s because from the moment I asked Jesus to be Master of my life, I have sought His peace. Those who know me best realize I can be anything but quiet and peaceful.

I chose to title the women’s newsletter I wrote for six years, “The Quiet Spirit,” because that was what I needed. “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment…Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight” (1 Peter 3:3-4). That kind of beauty can only come from a soul at rest in Him. I still want that.

If people relax when I play or speak, I hope it’s not because my delivery is so mousy they’re bored into napping. Rather, I’d like to believe that the peace of God’s message, which quiets from within, settles on their hearts like a warm blanket. I choose to play songs that exude peace, because it seems that’s what all of us need most. I’m passionately in love with the God I write about, but often speak with a soft voice. His presence and His Word calm the raging storms of my heart; His mighty power is best displayed in changed lives and answered prayer. I am grateful for and dependant on His peace in every tumultuous situation.

So, if you haven’t fallen asleep yet, I want to say with a LOUD, EXUBERANT voice how much I love the Lord! He has done and is doing great things that are definitely worth staying awake for.

1 comment:

  1. You would give us bouquets of sharpened pencils, and the Lord God has gifted you with peace and wrapped it in gentleness. When we are in need, we want someone with peace. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (Jn. 14:27)You have a gift that few display.

    ReplyDelete