Tuesday, April 5, 2011

40 Days of Lint, Day Twenty-Four: Hidden Love

In the story of Cyrano de Bergerac (1897 play by Edmond Rostand) a gifted poet, musician, and swordfighter falls in love with the beautiful Roxane. Although he’s confident in many other ventures, Cyrano is insecure when it comes to women because of his enormous nose. So instead of risking rejection, Cyrano woos and wins Roxane for Christian, who uses Cyrano’s poetry to win her heart. The story ends tragically, when the truth finally comes out fifteen years later as Cyrano dies in Roxane’s arms.

The story is tragic because of all the wasted years when Cyrano and Roxane could have been together. Cyrano cheated himself and others out of happiness because of his own insecurity. We do the same thing all the time. Instead of showing tough love to those we care about, we hide behind a veil of meaningless chatter. We’re afraid if we’re truthful we’ll lose the relationship. I have been so guilty of this. But scripture tells us:


                                                 Better is open rebuke than hidden love.
Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses.
Proverbs 27:5-6
One thing I value so much about Kelly is his honesty with me. He not only praises the good he sees in me (which I'm so thankful for!), but he also tells me when he sees a problem brewing. When I'm whiny, negative, or critical, he gently takes me in his arms and challenges my attitude. It still hurts, but his tenderness melts my defenses. He doesn’t say these things because he enjoys cutting me down to size, but to get me back on the right path. The wounds of a friend can be trusted.

So many times I run from being a true friend to the people I love the most. Because of past hurts, I fear rejection and abandonment. Instead of speaking the truth in love, I allow our conversations to remain surface and trivial, never getting to the real issues of faith, obedience, heaven, and Jesus.

These verses challenge me to show genuine love. Like Cyrano, I have many faults that are as plain as the nose on my face, but I also have a message to share that is pure poetry. Sharing God’s truth is not always seen as loving, especially when it steps on someone’s “everyone goes to heaven” theories. Real love risks rejection for the sake of the other and their eternal destiny.

Lint Removed: Hiding the Truth
Cleaning Process: Tough Love



No comments:

Post a Comment