Saturday, April 9, 2011

40 Days of Lint, Day Twenty-Eight: A Wise Face

two of the wisest women I know! My mom and friend Jerrie
You can always tell when a person knows the answer to a riddle or has heard the joke being told before. They have this knowing grin; they wait for the punch line like a Cheshire cat. I see the same look on Kelly’s face sometimes when I’m describing a problem I'm having. He’s already figured out what I need and he’s just biding his time until he can offer the answer, whether what I need is comfort or information. He has the knowing look of wisdom.

Our countenance reveals a lot about us. I don’t think I would make a very good poker player because I just don’t have the face for it. When I’m unhappy it shows in my jaw line and when I’m winning, even if I try to hide it, the delight shines through. This is true for all of us in our day to day life. The wisest man who ever lived said:
A person’s wisdom brightens their face
   and changes its hard appearance.
Ecclesiastes 8:1

This makes me ponder what my everyday countenance is saying to others. It’s actually a two-part question: Do I have the wisdom of God? And, can people see it in my face?

It’s an amazing delight when I first meet someone if I can tell they’re a believer, even before they say so. There’s a light in their face, even in hard times, that gives them a peaceful, hope-filled visage. It speaks of Christ and draws me to them. On the other hand, there are many Christians who have head knowledge of the power of God, that hasn’t yet touched their heart. They tend to look hard and angry, which keeps others at a distance.

Which one am I? I know I want to be filled with wisdom from God that not only fills my head, but my heart...and my face. J James describes God's wisdom as pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, merciful, producing good fruit, impartial, and sincere (3:17). It’s not a façade to put on, but a genuine glow from within when we are filled with God’s wisdom.

So today, I’m asking God to wipe the hardness from my face – whether it’s from lack of faith in the depth of His love, power, or purpose, or the infiltration of despair or hopelessness that clouds my face. I pray He will fill me with His Spirit and wisdom that shines, no matter what my circumstances or mood. He alone can light our faces from within.
Lint Removed: Face Clouded by Cares of this World
Cleaning Process: Glow of Wisdom
My dad and wise counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment