Tuesday, April 12, 2011

40 Days of Lint, Day Thirty: Jesus on the Throne

My husband laughs at how often I make friends in public restrooms. I don’t know, there’s something basic about being there together that encourages conversation. We women are relational by nature. I guess in the bathroom, we’re all on the same level.

Imagine my surprise, after a chatty little conversation with one such individual, when I find out they’re a high powered editor or keynote speaker for a national corporation. Yet they just talked to me, while washing hands at the next sink, as if we were equals, without pretense or condescension. I’m always impressed with those people like that - incredibly talented and much in demand, yet they take the time to treat me like a person of value.

That’s what Jesus does. He came in the form of a man and experienced the same emotions and temptations we do. He was misunderstood and mistreated. He knew ahead of time it would be that way, yet He still reached out in kindness and humility. That’s why we can sing “I am a Friend of God” today with the assurance that we really are.

He meets us in common, everyday situations and chats with us on our level. When we exit this “restroom of life,” we’ll see Him in all His glory, up front and onstage. Ezekiel was wowed by his vision of Jesus:

“Above the vault over their heads was what looked like a throne of lapis lazuli,* and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell
facedown...” (Ezekiel 1:26-28). *an intensely blue semi-precious rock

And John’s vision included even more details:

“At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper* and ruby.** A rainbow that shone like an emerald*** encircled the throne” (Revelation 4:2-3). *an opaque stone of red, yellow, blue, or green **pink to blood red gemstone ***green gemstone





Today, we are three-fourths of the way through our lint-cleansing journey to Easter, and I want to make sure I present the whole truth about Jesus. I’m so grateful we can know Jesus is our friend. He can relate to everything we feel and desire. But He is also God. As a man, He endured unimaginable torture for our sake. But now His mission is complete. Today He reigns in indescribable beauty and power.

How wonderful that we can celebrate Easter knowing Jesus is no longer on the cross, or in the tomb, but on the throne! He sits in radiant splendor, surrounded by rich colors and beauty beyond our imagination, receiving a constant flow of worship by angels and Christians who have gone before us. Yet, we can talk to Jesus anytime we want, about the most trivial matters. He will give us all the time we need. He will hold our hand, walk with us, embrace us, pray for us, or nudge us forward, depending on our need. We are indeed the most blessed of all people - we have a Friend in high places who is worthy to be adored!
Lint Removed: A Lopsided View of Christ
Cleaning Process: Look to the Throne

No comments:

Post a Comment